May 27, 2023

Bought a little yarn for a good cause

      One day this week out of nowhere after 141 days of my 2023 cold sheep resolution not to buy yarn, I felt like getting some sock dpns and 60 grams of sock yarn, to make some tiny sweater holiday ornaments that I promised to a charity craft sale, so I could knit on an upcoming trip.  And I did get them.
     I have sock needles but they are ridiculously expensive to replace now that the company that makes them is so popular.  I am thinking risk management.  I don't care so much if I lose new, inexpensive needles from another company while travelling. 
     I have yarn on hand earmarked for other projects that I could knit on my trip, and I even have some sock yarn scraps for tiny sweaters.  I could have stayed with the cold sheep slash stash reduction resolution and not bought yarn.  
     I decided to treat myself to new sock yarn anyway.  The colours, red and white, are more suitable to the holidays than the indigo, dark red, and black that I have.  The tiny sweater project is one of the only two projects in my WIPs or queue that have both a deadline and somebody expecting the finished object.  The other such project is the sweater I posted about last month.  If you are wondering how that's going, the sweater is in pieces with half the pieces blocked.
     I rarely let people know I'm working on a fiber arts gift for them or have a gift planned.  That way it's all inner expectations of my own to meet and not outer expectations from other people.
     Now, back to cold sheep.  While I was shopping some other balls of sock yarn called to me because the shop came out with new colours but I can resist for now.
     My cold sheep resolution this year was actually to go cold sheep except for some dish cloth cotton yarn for the charity craft sale.  It turned out that while they needed dish cloths for the Spring craft sale, they didn't need dish cloths for the holiday craft sale and that's why I offered to make tiny sweater ornaments instead.  I'm rationalizing that I'm substituting the sock yarn for half the cotton yarn I'd planned on.

No comments: